My Corner of the World

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Bring on the Rebels

After a week since the win over Providence, I am in need of a Tiger basketball fix! I've got it today! Memphis meets Mississippi today at 2:30 pm. I'll start my pregame show on SportsRadio WMC at 1 pm.

- - -

The Texas Rangers have commissioned a study of their ballpark to see if the addition of a section called the Gold Club has increased homeruns. What? Does that make sense? Well, numbers don't lie. Before the club was built in 2000 there was a homerun in every 30.3 at-bats, according to Kevin Sherrington of the Dallas Morning News. Since 2000 that number has decreased to a homer every 24.9 at-bats.

- - -

This is not what Texas coach Mack Brown wanted to hear just 2 1/2 weeks before playing for a national championship: the Austin PD is investigating two alleged assaults, one of which may have involved senior cornerback Cedric Griffin. (His lawyer called it a trash-talking incident.)

One incident happened in September, the other last weekend. It's the most recent event which has Griffin's named tied to it. So who's being investigated for the first assualt which apparently happened over 3 monhts ago?

According to this PD statement, "Information obtained indicates that the individuals being investigated in these incidents are involved in the UT athletics program," the statement said. "Due to the fact that these cases are still being investigated, APD cannot provide additional information."

Hmmmm, maybe it was good I picked USC to win the game after all.

- - -

Ok, I am sick of all the news from Texas as you are, but I cannot pass this up: on Friday Longhorns' QB Vince Young defended his reaction to losing the Heisman Trophy.

Some media types blasted the guy (I did not) for saying he was "disappointed" after finishing second to USC's Reggie Bush.

"I was happy for him (Bush)," Young said. "I am a competitor. We are two great guys who were up for the Heisman. I’m happy for him. It wasn’t that I was disappointed he won. I was just disappointed I wasn’t bringing the Heisman back for my teammates, the city of Houston, the city of Austin, my family and fans. That was the point I was trying to get across, but I guess people took it the wrong way."
Don't apologize, kid. There are too many bad guys in the world of sports these days for some hacks to focus on you. And look at it this way... you ain't the first person to be upset after losing to someone with the last name of Bush.



- - -

And now closer to home...

Congratulations to my friend coach Jimmy Adams for his team's victory last night over Ridgeway. Raleigh-Egypt needed overtime to win, 71-68. The Pharaohs are very good this year... again.

- - -

A battle in the bluegrass state will be watched closely by Tiger fans today. Not only will our natural hate for Louisville prevail when the tip it off against Kentucky, a loss by fourth-ranked little Ricky and the Cardinals today would help fifth-ranked Memphis in the polls (assuming Memphis beats the Rebels).

- - -

C'mon Southern Miss fans! You are going to a bowl game so buy tickets! Only 2500-or-so tickets sold for the New Orleans Bowl at Lafayette? Wow, that is so close to Hattiesburg. What are you waiting for?

- - -

See you on the radio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home