My Corner of the World

Monday, April 03, 2006

I learn something new everyday. So far on this Monday it's up to two. Actually, it's one new thing & the second is probably something new, but I just forgot.

I did not know Terrell Owens middle name is Eldorado. That's a fact you can never forget. The one I am pretty sure I knew, but just forgot, was Owens' hometown is Alexander City, Ala.

All of this comes to mind after reading the Dallas Morning News & their continuing coverage of TO signing with the Cowboys.

---

The city of San Antonio is definitely on the list of most-wanted by the NFL & Major League Baseball. Florida Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria confirmed Sunday that talks with the city as the new home of his team are serious. Several city officials will be with Loria today when the Marlins open up their regular season against Houston.

---

NFL Pro Day:

Jim Wyatt, The Tennessean - Leinart: Questions about arm thrown out
The Titans were there mainly to see quarterback Matt Leinart, who at the end of the sun-drenched day gave himself a passing grade, but was less than satisfied. "I thought I could have done better, but I am happy with what I showed. I think I answered some questions about my arm strength and moving around and throwing and stuff," Leinart said. "It's been a long day, but I think I did well. This feels like a big burden has been lifted off my shoulders. I still have a few workouts now, and then the draft is the next step."

---

Several mock NFL drafts are floating around. The latest I read over the weekend had Deangelo Williams of Memphis going late in the first round to Carolina. Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports writes, Moving Thomas Davis to linebacker shored up that spot. Another safety would seem to be the pressing choice here, but Williams would be too tempting to pass up. A safety and tight end can be chosen in later rounds. There are no guarantees with DeShaun Foster's health, and the team doesn't seem to be sold on Eric Shelton. Circumstance – not talent – is going to push Williams down the draft board. To get him this late would be a steal.

---

Congrats to the Memphis baseball Tigers for winning 2-of-3 on the road against nationally ranked Southern Miss.

---

The Grizzlies snap a 3-game losing streak, beating Atlanta 98-87.

---

Miami Heat center Shaquille O'Neal says the NBA holds him to different standards compared to other big men & he points his finger directly at league senior VP Stu Jackson. "They need to be consistent in how they call the game, and it all starts at the top. When you got a guy like Stu Jackson running stuff, then it's obvious why the refs are the way they are," O'Neal said of Jackson, who has three times after the fact charged O'Neal with flagrants that weren't called. When asked if there was an agenda, he answered, "Looks like it to me. All they did was flop and the refs fell for it. They make the rules up and then they don't follow them. We all know it's a double-standard; I just wish they wouldn't make it so obvious."

---

Coaching rumors:

Rob Daniels & Jim Young, Greensboro News-Record - Wanted: Personable winner to lead Pack
Sources close to the athletics program said N.C. State, which paid Herb Sendek $800,000 per year, may make overtures to Calipari, Rick Barnes of Texas and West Virginia’s John Beilein.None of them is certain to be interested. Calipari’s program is clearly the best in the downscaled Conference USA, and he has four years remaining on a contract paying an annual average of $1.5 million. He was reportedly linked to the Indiana job before Kelvin Sampson’s hire.

Scott Fowler, Knight Ridder News Service - Wolfpack's next coach must be winner
Memphis coach John Calipari may be a target. Calipari is too slick for me, but he might play well in Raleigh given Chuck Amato's success with the red faithful. My dark horse candidate is Wichita State coach Mark Turgeon, who has done a very good job in a very tough place.

David Teel, Hampton Roads Daily Press - Sendek, N.C. State share blame for separation
The question for ACC fans is, who replaces Sendek? The Raleigh News & Observer mentioned Texas' Rick Barnes and Memphis' John Calipari, but each is much better-positioned to win in his current job.

(If you would like a good chuckle, read the second letter-to-the-editor at this link; the author would make a good talk radio clone spouting off things she has heard, but has no idea if they are true or not. You can say what you want about Coach Cal, but inspiring "zero loyalty," as the author claims proves most people open their mouths (or wirte) before taking the time to research the topic.)

---

Let's not forget their is a basketball championship game on the tube tonight. Florida faces UCLA to put an end to the 2006 edition of March Madness. It's still one of the greatest sporting events held each year, but I slowly lost interest as my bracket was shot after rounds 1 & 2, the Tigers lost in the Elite Eight, then George Mason's Cinderella run ended in the Final Four Saturday. Yeah, yeah, but I will still be watching tonight.

Ok, I'll be watching as long as it's interesting. If this game follows Saturday's pattern, I'll just flip to Fox & make sure Jack Bauer is still on the path of saving LA from terrorists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home