My Corner of the World

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

To answer the emails, no, my post last night about Herenton vs. Frazier was not a joke. Click here to read the entire story at Action News 5's website.

The Memphis mayor is doing it raise money for Lemoyne-Owen College. Something tells me he could have raised even more money had he auctioned off the chance for a taxpayer to get in the ring & go one-on-one. Or maybe the media.

---

The fake news website WTF-TV.com has struck again, this time fooling the Drudge Report & SI.com's Scorecard Daily with a bogus story on Barry Bonds.

This reminds me of a couple of practical jokes I pulled on Dave Woloshin when we did afternoons on WMC-AM. The first was a fake news story I put together on an ESPN.com template telling a story how Chicago Cubs manager Dusty Baker had quit & even slugged the team's GM. Wolo is a huge Cubs fan & after his initial shock, he caught on to my prank before we ever hit the airwaves.

My second prank happened just last year on April Fool's Day & it did make it on-the-air. Using the same mock ESPN.com template, I created a story stating Al Davis had told an Oakland radio station that he was moving the Raiders. Memphis & San Antonio were his top two choices, but he really preferred Memphis because of Tigers' running back DeAngelo Williams.

Some of you may have heard it when this story made it on our show. It was all I could do not to laugh & give it all away.

This is something I have done for years, sometimes just to see if the listeners are paying attention. I almost got punched 10 years ago when I had some folks in Cleveland, Miss., convinced Gene Hackman was building an amusement park there.

Ah, the good old days.

---

All I've got to say about Albert Pujols is I am glad he is a St. Louis Cardinal. "I don't want to be the next Barry Bonds, I want to be Albert Pujols and that's it," Pujols told reporters after his team beat the Giants last night & watched Bonds stay stuck another day at 714 career homers. By the way, Pujols stroked his 23rd of the season last night.

---

The Miami Heat take game one from Detroit in the NBA's Eastern Conference finals. Shaq's on a mission. Internet rumors say the big man might retire if Miami wins it all. I doubt it.

---

My AI predition: Birmingham's Taylor Hicks wins tonight. My second prediction: UAB will have to use him as halftime entertainment this football season or next just to get folks into the stadium, just like they did with Rueben Studdard a couple of years ago.

---

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home