My Corner of the World

Monday, May 08, 2006

Unfortunately, the contraversy of Terrell Owens has grown bigger than the game of football itself. Whether it was by accident or design is debateable. Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells thinks he's found the solution... just don't talk about T.O.

Just two days after fielding 35 questions regarding the contraversial wide receiver,
Parcells told reporters Sunday that Owens talk is off limits until the start of training camp.

The zipped lip may stop Parcells from talking about Terrell, but that will be about it. This should be one lively summer for sportstalk radio in Dallas. Let's be honest, that's the way T.O. wants it, too.

---

Since I am writing about someone who likes attention, let's bring up Green Bay QB Brett Favre. Now that we know for sure, or are pretty sure, or at least believe Favre is back with the Pack this fall, he's already opening up debate for 2007, after telling us last month this was it: "I know I said that [in the offseason]...I hope you guys will respect me. I'm going to play this year, give it my best and not talk about it."

Brett, I want you to stay in the league as long as you want to stay or someone is willing to hire you. I just believe fans are growing tired of the mini-soap opera that has to take place each season.

---

The New York Post reports Fox Sports is strongly considering Pam Oliver or Jeanne Zelasko to host its Sunday NFL pregame show.

---

Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns easily wins the 2006 NBA MVP award.

---

According to the Houston Chronicle, USOC officials are in Houston today discussing the city as a potential site for the 2016 Olympic games.

---

"I'll be the first to admit that we had a lot more exposure over the last five or six years given to us that's sort of out line compared to what we've won and how we've run. I'm obvious to that — I'm not an idiot. So its good to get into Victory Lane every once in a while to back up the exposure and the hype." - Dale Earnhardt Jr., after winning Saturday night's Nextel Cup race at Richmond.

I am not sure who loves this guy more: the fans or the media. When Junior finally took the lead in the waning laps, you could clearly hear on TV the thunderous cheers & applause over the roar of the engines. After taking the checkered flag, several members of the Fox TV crew proclaimed Junior was back & this was likely the start of a big run for him.

Maybe so...

Maybe not...

Here's a glance at a handful of headlines from various newspaper websites around the country:

Late Victory Adds to Earnhardt's Legacy

Earnhardt Jr. serves notice that he's a contender for NASCAR title

‘Little E' win just what Nextel Cup needs

I was a big fan of Junior's old man, Dale Earnhardt. I hope "Little E" can live up to all the expectations. In the meantime I stand by a comment I made last November on Westwood One's Focus On Racing Radio: the heir-apparent to the NASCAR throne is Tony Stewart. He has two championships in four seasons; he's a bit of a bad boy; he knows what to say & do to get noticed.

If Dale Jr. wants to keep it in the family, a Cup championship in 2006 would be a good first step.

---

At first I thought it was a joke when I heard the IRL was considering holding a race in the PARKING LOT of Dodgers Stadium. Then I read where Dodgers' team officials have stopped talks with the racing league because the race would not make financial sense.

---

I give fans of the Philadelphia an "A" for effort, plus extra points for creativity after Frisco slugger Barry Bonds trip to the city I thought was known for brotherly love.

Fans holding posters of an asterisk speckled the stands over the weekend, but that has happened in other ballparks. Three guys dressed as juice boxes - that's a classic; others wore Bonds-like jerseys, sporting his no. 25 with the name "Roids" on the back.

Bonds did leave Philly with something to smile about: he stroked no. 713 to the upper deck Sunday, moving within one of tying Babe Ruth for second on the homerun list. Lost in this fact is the Giants lost... again... for the fourth time in-a-row.

---

Bloggin on DeAngelo:

(Carolina QB Jake) Delhomme will not be nervous around the Panthers' newest first-round draft choice, DeAngelo Williams. But he will be happy to have him in the backfield. Delhomme talked to reserve quarterback Stefan LeFors about Williams. LeFors played against Williams when the former was at Louisville and the latter was at Memphis. LeFors gave the rookie good reviews. - Tom Sorenson, Charlotte.com

---

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home