My Corner of the World

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

It's not just any gameday for the Tigers, at least not for me. Tonight Memphis hosts Tennessee at FedEx Forum. Regardless of what Vol fans might say, this game is big to UT. Consider the following:

UT coach Bruce Pearl insists he wants Memphis on the schedule, just not in January. You & I both know he wants to play in Memphis to recruit. Why wouldn't he? Now try to swallow this quote: "I don't know what it does for recruiting. We're in the Southeastern Conference, you know. They're in Conference USA."

Has Pearl looked at the current Tigers? Has he seen who the committments for the future are? How many of his players would he trade for freshman Shawne Williams? Antonio Anderson? Oh, coach, in case you didn't notice there's a number four besides the name Memphis. I understand that is a foreign object at Tennessee & whatever directional school you came from before Knoxville. Don't you have a conversation to go tape with a recruit?

I fully expect it to be loud tonight when the Tigers play. I expect the crowd could be somewhat hostile. How will Pearl react? Or former White Station standout Dane Bradshaw? If their game at LSU is any indication, get ready.

The student section chants the name of Bradshaw, that we know for sure. What happened next is up for debate. Reports are Pearl raised Bradshaw's hand just before placing him in the game with 1:07 left to play. After sinking a three-pointer, some say Bradshaw gave the throat-slashing sign to fans. Others say he gave them the middle finger. Bradshaw denies both.

LSU coach John Brady said within earshot of several reporters after the game that Pearl needed to show some class. "Act like you've been there," he added. Sounds to me like Brady is dead-on. But he's the one being villified for speaking the obvious.

Was Bradshaw intimidated?

"Coming from Memphis, where you have life-threatening fans, I never heard anything too bad," Bradshaw said. "I'm not scared of a frat kid at LSU. I'm more scared of a gang-banger in Memphis."

What an embarrassing comment for both Bradshaw & UT. C'mon Tiger Tiger Blue Crew. You guys have your work cut out for you tonight.

---

Yes, it is game likes this & stories like this that make me really miss my old show.

---

I was 1-3 in my NFL picks last weekend. Another reason I don't gamble on sports!

---

Meanwhile, several NFL teams are scrambling to fill their coaching vacancies:

Several websites insist Fresno State's Pat Hill is still in the mix for the Oakland job, although he could put an end to that rumor today if he announces he's staying with the Bulldogs. Louisville's Bobby Petrino is now being mentioned. Tampa Bay assistant coach Rod Marinelli has interviewed for the job three times & is believed to be the actual frontrunner.

It appears the New Orleans Saints will hire Dallas assistant Sean Payton. A press conference is scheduled for this afternoon.

---

Music quote of the day:

"Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
Then I watch them roll away again
I'm sitting on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay
Wasting time"

Otis Redding - "Dock of the Bay"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home