My Corner of the World

Thursday, February 09, 2006

I want to start today's blog with a personal note. I have always been appreciative of the support I had on Tigers broadcasts or on SportsCall. After nearly 20 years in this business, I am still one of those that get a kick out of meeting a fan of the show(s). The support I have continued to receive since SportsCall went away on Dec. 30 is quite humbling. Not a day goes by I don't receive a supportive email or someone stops me at the grocery store just to say hello.

From the beginning I refused to turn this into a daily blog of an unemployed DJ. No one really cares about how I spend my days while plotting my next move. However, one thing I have noticed is how personal some people get on their blogs. So maybe I will mix a little more of that in. But for the time-being I am content with this being a place you can come & get what's making headlines locally & across the country with a little opinion mixed in. Doing this each morning keeps me disciplined in my reading of dozens of websites & newspapers online to keep up with what's happening in the world of sports.

It seems I have spent all this time filling this much space just to say thanks to all of you. I hope to have an announcement soon on my future.

---

Speaking of blogs, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is using his to go after L.A. Lakers coach Phil Jackson. The headline reads "I own Phil Jackson." Cuban continues in the first paragraph by writing, "Not literally of course. That thrill belongs to the smartest businesswoman in professional sports, Jeannie Buss. Figuratively however, the coach formerly known as the Zen Master must now be considered my bucket boy."

---

Rumors are swirling that Kentucky's Tubby Smith will be the coach with the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats next years.

---

The IOC had a chance to right a wrong today by re-admitting baseball into the Olympics. The proposal was rejected, 46-42. Baseball will be played in 2008 at Beijing, but then disappear for 2012 in London. A proposal to reinstate softball was also shot down, 47-43.

---

The University of Mississippi has self-reported to the NCAA a handful of secondary violations from football recruiting.

---

Whatever happened to former Alabama football coach Mike DuBose? He's been promoted from defensive coordinator to head coach of Division III Millsaps in Jackson, Miss.

---

apparently ESPN's Stephen A. Smith on his appearance with David Letterman referred to him as "Jay," obviously confusing CBS's latenight icon with NBC's Jay Leno. I am still looking for the audio. Letterman should have responded to Smith by calling him Dan Patrick.

---

After the labor strike which pushed the NHL to at least fifth on the list of major sports in the U.S., the last thing professional hockey needs is a gambling scandal. Especially if it's most recognizable name is involved: Wayne Gretky.

---

Music quote of the day:

"We can't go on together
With suspicious minds
And be can't build our dreams
On suspicious minds"

Elvis Presley - "Suspicious Minds"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home