My Corner of the World

Monday, February 27, 2006

Wow, three days since my last post & I apologize. Traffic here increases each day & I believe it has something to do with the fresh updates. Hey, I know the perfect place to start:

Since it is Monday it's old news that the Memphis Tigers won again Saturday night. After an easy win at Tulsa earlier in the season, the Golden Hurricane came to FedEx Forum with upset on their mind. In the end, the Tigers prevail, 78-67.

The postgame show I host is usually entertaining. Everyone has an opinion on Tiger basketball. The call of the night came from a young listener, maybe junior high age. He described himself as a die-hard Tiger fan, but all his friends at school like Duke. Wait a minute, Duke? Here? In Memphis?

There's many loyalties to many schools in our region, so if you aren't a Memphis fan that usually means you pull for Mississippi, Arkansas or Tennessee. Anyway, back to the story.

I was curious why so many Duke fans at this young man's school? Transplants? Mom or Dad graduated from there? What was the connection?

It was then my young caller offered an explanation I plan on using for years to come. He said these kids had no connection to the Blue Devils so he referred to them as "walk-on fans."

Now it's on to UAB this Thursday night.

---

With no. 3 UConn's win over no. 2 Villanova yesterday, what does that mean for Memphis in the polls today?

---

Former Memphis running back DeAngelo Williams was the subject of a feature article in yesterday's New York Times. Good read, although you will have to register with their site to see it.

---

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home