My Corner of the World

Sunday, February 12, 2006

It's been a few days since the last post. That's my fault. Things are back to normal... well, as normal as it can be.

---

The snow Friday was a lot of fun. It was a first for my two-year old daughter & she was able to use the authentic Radio Flyer Sled her grandfather gave her for Christmas. Okay, she was actually kinda scare of it... but I loved it. Well, for at least two trips down the hill. I need to keep reminding myself I am not as young as I used to be.

Even through the sledding, snowball fights with my wife & the construction of a snowman, I missed the radio side of such an event. Radio has the ability to shine when such events strike. Radio is immediate & it's portable & can provide the vital information the listeners need, IF the powers-that-be will do the job.

---

Another great win for the Memphis Tigers yesterday. I will admit there were some nervous moments in the first half of the game against Marshall. Robert Dozier was the spark the team neededm then Darius Washington helped put some finishing touches on in the second half.

---

The Grizzlies win a close one against the L.A. Lakers, 100-99. Is this the win that will break them from the month-long funk the team has been mired in? Too soon to answer that question just yet, but Grizz fans are keeping their fingers crossed. I must say a win over the Lakers is always fun, & I couldn't help but think of "Marcus," a frequent caller in the ol' days of SportsCall. As one of the biggest Kobe Bryant/Lakers fans I have ever encountered, somewhere last night he wasn't smiling.

---

Never thought I would read this: Kentucky "on the bubble" for the Big Dance. Next thing you'll tell me is Louisville is dead in the water... ooops, never mind.

---

I was a big fan of Art Shell during his original run as head coach of the Oakland Raiders. But with the announcement yesterday he's been hired to revive the program, it begs the question is this the right move? The Raider nation hopes so.

Whether it's fair or not, Shell's hiring comes across as an act of desperation. Louisville coach Bobby Petrino turned down the job, there was no intrest from Al Davis in Fresno State's Pat Hill & did fans really want a college coach? I felt sure all Davis was waiting on was Pittsburgh to get out of the Super Bowl so he could lure an assistant away to the west coast. Nope.

Shell brings with him credibility. He's been a winner on the frontline & sideline. Now being a former player is not a mandate for a coach, but in this situation right now, it can't hurt.

---

Music quote of the day:

"As the riders loped on by him he heard one call his name
If you want to save your soul from hell a-riding on our range
Then cowboy change your ways today or with us you will ride
A-trying to catch the devil's herd across these endless skies
Yippie-aye-aaa, yippie-aye-ooh, ghost riders in the sky"

The Outlaws - "(Ghost) Riders in the Sky"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home