My Corner of the World

Thursday, March 09, 2006

It could be a stormy midday today. Keep an eye on weather conditions. Hopefully Memphis will get it's baseball game in today against Middle Tennessee State. The Tigers are looking for the three-game series sweep. First pitch is set for 1 p.m., weather permitting of course.

---

It's no secret I am a football nut. High school, college, NFL... heck, I have been known to stop & watch a pee wee team practice. I love the sport.

But when it comes to my favorite time of year, it is definitely March Madness. The NCAA basketball tournament is an almost-perfect display of what college postseason is all about. Sure, come next Monday we'll all debate which teams received the wrong seed in the bracket, but then we will all fill them out, drop a couple of bucks in the office pool & then wait for Thursday.

Conference tournaments across the nation are underway. It gives us a glimpse of possible Cinderellas... it makes you wonder if that team is holding back & saving it for the Big Dance.

The no. 5 Memphis Tigers start their quest today for the CUSA tourney crown after taking Wednesday off with a first-round bye. Tulane is the opponent, a team Memphis beat by 40 at the Green Wave's gym just three weeks ago. However, margin of victory from a regular season game means absolutely nothing & Tulane will give the Tigers everything they got.

The Tigers have been beaten up in the media for their on-court performances over the last couple of weeks, some of it warranted, some it was coming from people who were waiting on something to pounce on. If Memphis wants to go deep into the NCAA tournament, then they need to pretend it starts today. That means playing defense every possession; that means taking smart shots; it also means Darius Washington needs to step & carry the team like a good point guard. I've seen him do it.

I'll be on-air with the pregame show at 4:30 p.m.

---

Also today in CUSA Tournament action at FedEx Forum:

Houston meets UCF in quarterfinal action. The Cougars need to win the tourney to reach the NCAA tournament.

Southern Miss surprises Tulsa yesterday; the Golden Eagles' season comes to an end today against UTEP.

UAB plays SMU to start things off at noon.

---

Memphis coach John Calipari has addressed rumors & coaching vacancies. This happens every year around here. Hey, it's what you get when you have a high-profile coach. If your coach is not being talked about this time of year, it means he's losing.

---

The SEC Tournament starts today in Nashville. A story in this morning's The Tennesseean warns of ticket scams going on outside of the arena, including sellers offering counterfeit tickets.

---

It's appropriate that Surprise, Ariz., could be the site today for a surprise visit from a much-sought after MLB pitcher. Rumor is Roger Clemens will take a break today from Team USA & visit the Rangers' preseason camp. I am not sure if I agree with how Clemens is handling the process of who will receive his services this season. But when you carry his resume, reputation & pitching arm you can dictate to teams what you want & expect.

---

Good to see Urban Meyer is trying to bring quality athletes to Florida. Ok, maybe not. Click here & read more.

---

Unlike some, I never feared the worse in the NFL's labor talks with their players union. As USA Today reports, "NFL owners scored a buzzer-beater of their own Wednesday night, finally agreeing to a six-year extension of their collective bargaining agreement with the players union as time was set to expire on their negotiating window."

---

Music quote of the day:

"Please come now
I think I'm falling
Holding on to all I think is safe
It seems I've found the road to nowhere
And I'm trying to escape
I yelled back when I heard thunder
But I'm down to one last breath
And with it let me say, let me say
Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge
And I'm thinking
Maybe six feet
Ain't so far down"

Creed - "One Last Breath"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home