My Corner of the World

Monday, June 12, 2006

As many of you know, things got all turned upside down for me last December when I learned my radio home of almost seven years was switching formats. My goal was to go where the Tigers go, which happened when Tigers Sports Properties signed me as pregame/postgame/coaches shows hosts for 2006-07. Still, I needed the fulltime gig to pay the rent.

I looked inside the market & outside as well. There are some really good guys (and gals) in various markets out there & I believe I made some friends. Heck, it was a learning experience. I have had only two fulltime radio jobs in the last 12 years. I was pretty rusty at interviewing. Although I've been doing this almost 20 years, I walked into various PD & GM offices with first-timer butterflies.

Two offers outside of Memphis came my way. But it would mean relocating to a strange place & leaving the Tigers after seven seasons. After long hours of thinking, working numbers & praying, staying home was the obvious choice.

I put out a couple of feelers at a couple of radio station in the area. However, there was one I targeted & one that I really wanted to work for. Their programming & committment to local sports & now the University of Memphis made perfect sense.

On June 15 I will join WREC-AM as a sports anchor. It also gives me the opportunity to participate in other projects as well which will take me back to my roots in news.

It makes perfect sense... WREC is home to Tigers football & basketball... WREC is home to the Tommy West Show & John Calipari Show...WREC is now home to me, too.

Thanks to all of you who have sent emails or made calls of support. I have made so many good friends out there. That's part of what makes my job so much fun.

2 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, June 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, man!

Good luck!

 
At 8:16 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Forrest Goodman said...

Anonymous - Thank you!

Shawn - I appreciate you saying that. I hope so because I like being around! LOL

Jeb - Thanks for the words. Drop me an email sometime so I will have a way to keep in touch with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home