My Corner of the World

Thursday, June 08, 2006

In case you missed the post last week, I have removed restrictions on leaving a comment. You no longer have to be a registered user of blogger.com to voice your opinion. Just look for the comments link at the end of each daily post.

---

Quaterback Cannon Smith has told the Commercial Appeal he wants to be a Tiger. The son of FedEx found Fred Smith chose Memphis over offers from Mississippi & Tulane.

This is big news for several reasons. The last name is one of the obvious. But another to consider is the presitge factor. The son of one of the city's most prominent businessmen chose to stay home. Why? Because he likes what he sees at Memphis.

---

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is proof if you spend money, you can make money in the NBA. At times I have been critical of his antics, but there is no arguing he is the reason for part of the success at Dallas. His enthusiasm & support has been contagious amongst fans in the city & only adds to the anticipation leading up to game one tonight against Miami for the championship.

---

Here's something odd: despite being on probation, TCU's track team is competing this week in the NCAA Outdoor Championship Meet. Why? Because the NCAA ruled the team could still compete in individual competitions, a first for the governing organization. It's part of the NCAA trying to be more student-athlete friendly, however, some coaches at the meet are upset over the Horned Frogs participation.

---

Unfortunate injuries & sometimes playing through pain: those are my memories of Steve McNair's career as a Tennessee Titan. I've often wondered what the guy could have achieved had he been healthier. Then again, that's football.

McNair has been traded to Baltimore. Yes, the Titans sent their most recognizable player since Eddie George to the enemy. Their reasons are long & even some maybe valid. But the average fan doesn't care about contracts & salary caps & such... they just know McNair is now a Raven, thanks to the Titans.

I still find it hard to believe that it has been six years since the Titans lost to St. Louis in Super Bowl XXXIV. McNair brought his team back to life in the second half. I can still vividly see Kevin Dyson snagging a McNair pass as the clock drained. He was tackled at the one-yard line... time expired... the Titans lost to the Rams, 23-16.

---

Memphis basketball fans are paying attention to Darius Washington & his quest for a career in the NBA. He is writing a diary at collegehoops.com as he participates this week in workouts in Orlando.

He writes, I’ve been really busy since I decided to enter the draft. I was really lucky to be able to spend a week with Coach Lucas in Houston who I really admire and then got to spend a couple weeks at the IMG Academy in Bradenton. Doing everything from practicing drills, shooting, lifting, reviewing tape, listening to my trainers and learning as much as I can before the draft. I am happy to have my family close because at times it can be stressful. I am just trying to keep my head on straight and focus on the coming weeks. At the end of the day I am like anyone else entering the draft—I have to prove myself and show everyone that I am willing to do more than the next guy to make it.

Darius must decide by June 18 whether to stay in the draft or return to Memphis. I wish him the best of luck no matter what his final decision is... he will always be a Tiger.

---

1 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, June 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new radio job. I'm looking forward to hearing you again.

GO TIGERS !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home