My Corner of the World

Monday, January 23, 2006

As I expected, Memphis moved to no. 3 in both national polls today. UConn is first, followed by Duke, then the Tigers. That's very nice company to be in.

Now it's time for me to get nervous over the showdown with UAB this Thursday night.

---

Lost in all this Kobe Bryant talk of his 81-point game yesterday is the fact the Lakers are still only 22-19, 4 1/2 games behind Phoenix. Kobe is great as a one-man show here lately, but this is the NBA & it takes a lot more than that to make the playoffs... or win championships.

---

Away from sports, anyone else addicted to "24" starring Keifer Sutherland? I've watched it since the first episode premiered in November 2001 & it's still just as good more than four years later.

I also highly recommend "The Shield" & "My Name Is Earl."

---

After the football doubleheader yesterday I watched the latest episode "The First 48" on A&E which I had recorded on my DVR. This week's edition features Memphis homicide & Sgt. Tony Mullins, a great Tiger fan that I visit with occassionally during football season. I am not sure if he ever reads the blog, but I want to tell him great job. Oh, & it was cool seeing your Memphis pennant at your desk.

---

At least one NFL teams believes in coach recycling, as Buffalo hired Dick Jauron today. He was 35-46 in five seasons with the Chicago Bears, with only winning season. That came in 2001 when he was named coach of the year, but watched his 13-3 Bears get tossed early from the playoffs.

Most recently Jauron was defensive coordinator for Detroit, then finished 2005 as interim head coach after the dismissal of Steve Mariucci in November.

Jauron becomes the Bills fourth head coach since Marv Levy retired after the 1997 season.

---

Music quote of the day:

"Catch a cannonball now to take me down the line
My bag is sinking low and I do believe it's time
To get back to Miss Fannie, you know she's the only one
Who sent me here with her regards for everyone"

The Band - "The Weight"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home