My Corner of the World

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year

May 2006 bless your home with love, happiness, & hope...

---

I have been mired in a funk since getting the call yesterday morning about CBHS football standout Chris Mosby. It seems I am only more sensitive to such news now that I am a father.

My prayers are with his family.

---

Congratulations to Tulsa for winning the Liberty Bowl Saturday here in Memphis. Conference USA finishes 3-2 in postseason.

---

Since I am soon to be in the ranks of the unemployed I spent the afternoon listening to old tapes of my play-by-play for both high school football & Delta State football & baseball. (Still looking for the DSU basketball tapes, but that's another story.)

I am transferring some of it to my computer, but what a pain. It just goes to show how spoiled I am today by portable technology today. Cassettes are unheard in 2005, er, I mean 2006. But some of this stuff is just from 7-8 years ago & having it on cassette seems so dinosaurish.

But what the hey, it's been good for a laugh or two listening to DSU play it's first-ever division II football playoff game. I wonder what's happened to some of the players who's names I called that day? Coach Todd Knight is now at Ouachita Baptist in Arkadelphia, Ark.

You can count of some of this audio finding it's way to forrestgoodman.com.

What's the most bizarre thing about this trip down memory lane is the tapes & tapes & tapes I have of my show "Sportsline" which aired Sunday nights on two radio stations (guess I was syndicated). In the show's 5-year run I had a cast of co-hosts & even flew solo for awhile. I was quite proud of it. We were the only award-winning sportstalk show in Mississippi & we had fun.

---

I sit here tonight in anxious anticipation of tomorrow's Tiger basketball game against Texas. This is going to be fun!

---

No surprise, Vikings head coach Mike Tice was fired. Let's start the debating of where he will end up next... because NFL coaches don't really get fired... they just get recycled.

Maybe he can go coach the Texans because it appears Dom Capers is out there. Again, no surprise.

---

On a non-sports-related note, what did you think of Dick Clark last night on his New Year's Eve special?

I guess I was surprised at his slow speech pattern. It was the harsh reality that America's oldest teenager is aging. But I thought he looked great for everything he has been through with his health.

---

Music quote of the day:

"Should old acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind
Should old acquaintance be forgot
And days of Auld Lang Syne"


---

See you on the radio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home