My Corner of the World

Thursday, September 28, 2006

I guess the Memphis Flyer doesn't think I am a nice guy. Their best of Memphis edition is out & my old talk show "SportsCall" ranked third (tied with Chris Vernon) by the readers, although the show has been gone from the air for almost nine months. The Flyer writes, "National asshole Jim Rome edged out local nice guys Dave Woloshin, formerly of SportsCall, and Chris Vernon for second."

I co-hosted the show from September 2001 until its final airing on Dec. 29, 2005. As a matter of fact I did most of that final program solo.

Add "Try becoming a nice guy so I will get my name in a weekly newspaper" to my list of things to do in 2007.

- - -

Congrats to my current station NewsRadio 600 WREC for no. 1 as best AM station & co-worker Mike Fleming for best local radio talk show.

- - -

Two days from now the Tigers host UT. The weather will be perfect & the 11 a.m. start means less complications when dealing with Mid-South Fair traffic. The pregame show starts on WREC at 9 a.m.

- - -

On a trip to Memphis yesterday Gov. Phil Bredesen was asked about his reelection campaign for governor, crime, jobs... all the typical questions. I ended the short get-together by asking him a question he didn't expect. I asked Bredesen who he was pulling for in Saturday's football game between the Tigers & Vols... his media relations person quickly intervened with a nervous laugh telling him to be careful.

Bredesen gave the politically correct answer I expected, stating "He hopes it will be a good football game." I wonder if he'll take my suggestion of wearing a blue hat & orange shirt, just so fans of either school don't get mad?

- - -

UT atheltic director Mike Hamilton wants to limit the number of times Memphis & Tennessee play football in the future. A story in the Tennessean states Hamilton prefers two games over a 10-15 year period, not the current 10 games over 20 years.

Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson joined us on Memphis Morning News today on WREC. He said he was disappointed to hear that & will work to keep the series alive in both football & basketball.

- - -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home