My Corner of the World

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Another anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley has come & gone... we all survived, as I knew we would. I don't believe most Memphians have as much respect or even like Elvis compared to the world-at-large. Thats because if you grew up here all you've heard your whole life is Elvis & Graceland. I can remember a stretch over two summers in the late 80s when I visited the King's home six times as we had various relatives travel in & out of town on vacations. Heck, I could have given the tour at one point.

I had the chance to visit with a small group of people yesterday that gathered for a memorial service in Elvis's honor. It was presented by local disc jockey George Klein at the University of Memphis. I had full access backstage to so many folks that were close to Presley. I didn't have time to interview each one.

But I did get a chance to speak with Mark James, who authored "Suspicious Minds," "Always On My Mind," & "Moody Blue." He called the event more of a celebration of Elvis & what he meant to music. By the way, "Suspicious Minds" is the greatest Elvis song ever, in case you wanted my opinion.

Before T.G. Sheppard was a country music star, he was a friend of the Elvis as a record rep for RCA. Sheppard shared with me a couple of short stories. It was good to meet him. I was familiar with his music when I was a kid & still listen to a song or two occassionally today. I got him to tell me a little bit about his radio days at WMC (my former radio station). He currently tours & does over 100 shows a year. Not a bad gig.

Elvis's nurse Marion Cocke was in the room; so was Jerry Phillips, son of Sam Phillips. It was quite a gathering & a neat feeling to be surrounded in a room with such history.

- - -

I wanted to write earlier this week about the Tiger football scrimmage I attended, but I just didn't have time until now. We're going to be ok on the offensive side of the ball. QB Martin Hankins is everything I was told to expect & then some. Hats off to Ridgeway product Will Hudgens, too. That's not to leave out Patrick Byrne. I will be interested to see what kind of reps he gets in the Saturday scrimmage after a lackluster performance Tuesday.

I am sure Patrick & Will feel they have something to prove after missing last year, both with a broken leg. Competition is good because it pushes you to be your best. That's something Coach West has tried to create each year in preseason camp at key positions.

Plus, with the stock of wide receivers Memphis has, there will be plenty of targets to throw to, no matter who is QB.

Please don't try to compare Joseph Doss to DeAngelo Williams! That is not fair. Doss is going to be a good runner. He's sneaky & has a move or two of his own.

- - -

The Highland Hundred Banquet last Friday night was very nice. It's not often I get to attend a Tiger-related event & I am not working or on-the-air. That night I got to be a fan & stand up clap to the fight song, cheer when the freshmen were announced & laugh out loud at Tommy's jokes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home