My Corner of the World

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I'm disappointed in myself. I let football season slip up with little or nothing on the blog. Could things be any crazier for me right now? Family, job(s), life...

Look, it's better than the alternative. I went through that earlier this year where I was begging to work. The unfortunate part is things I like to do take a backseat, like the blog.

Coaches teach discipline to players. Maybe I need to take a page out of that playbook.

- - -

One of the things I wanted to post last week were my predictions specifically for Memphis, CUSA & the SEC. Well, with week one in the books maybe it is too late now. And considering I had the Tigers beating Mississippi 24-21, maybe I should get out of the prognosticating game altogether.

Instead what I will do is try to give some weekly picks. It's all just for fun.

- - -

I have also compiled my list of hotseat coaches. I put it together before last weekend & nothing has really changed.

Air Force - Fisher DeBerry: He's made contraversial statements in recent years; add to it 4-7 last year & there could a change; retirement is a possibility, as he's 67 years old.
Arkansas - Houston Nutt: Many more nights like last Saturday's loss to USC & the Butch Davis rumors will start again; it seems all went downhill for Nutt after turning down the Nebraska job. I thought ESPN did do a nice job of sucking up to the Hawg fans during their telecast, as the announcers kept reminding us that the Razorbacks would be ok in SEC play... huh?
Georgia Tech - Chan Gailey: It's his fifth year & his team hung with Notre Dame Saturday; the question is can seven wins a season keep your job with the Yellow Jackets in a tough ACC? If the answer is no, say goodbye to Chan
Kentucky - Rich Brooks: Wasn't he fired last year?
Miami - Larry Coker: He sure didn't help his case losing to FSU last night. "He's a victim of freakin' talk shows," said Howard Schnellenberger, now at Florida Atlantic. "And what's that other thing? Glops or gloops or whatever it is." Ummm, blogs, maybe?
Michigan State - John L. Smith: His Spartans were 29 1/2 point favorites last weekend to Idaho; they won 27-17. Fans are quite grumpy after no bowls the past two years.
Michigan - Lloyd Carr: Fans think his offense is bland. Another 7-5 season, coupled with a loss to Ohio State, would be frowned upon.
Mississippi State - Sylvester Croom: I hear www.firesylvestercroom.com can be bought for $250. No word yet if they are passing the hat in Starkville.
Missouri - Gary Pinkel: A website asking for his termination is also $250. Geez, I am in the wrong business.
Texas A&M - Dennis Franchione: 16-19 in three seasons at College Station. He probably wishes he had left Tuscaloosa in a friendlier manner.
Tulane - Chris Scelfo: Hurricane Katrina gave Scelfo a reprieve in 2005, but he won't be so lucky this year. The problem for Tulane is if they send Scelfo packing, will anyone (worth a dime) take the job? It wasn't that long ago Tulane publicly flirted with dropping football. There's a huge vote-of-confidence for recruiting!
UAB - Watson Brown: It's life after Darrell Hackney.

In the larger scheme of things, this list means nothing. It's for entertainment purposes only, so don't email me in a hissy fit because your coach is on the list. There are so many things that determine whether a coach stays or goes, is fired or given a contract extension. Fan blogs, the media & message boards have little or no influence.

1 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, September 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon this while searching for the site www.firesylvestercroom.com, which had been mentioned on my favorite SEC site, www.secrage.com
You need to get together with those guys over there. Talk about some good smack talk that could go on.
Now I will continue to peruse your thoughts, but I also think you would have a darn good time in a forum situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home